Published On : 17 Mar 2020
Our hearts and thoughts go out to those who have been affected either directly or indirectly from the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Site Skills Training is prioritising the safety of our staff, students, and suppliers by implementing recommended hygiene practices as well as undertaking additional cleaning of high touch point items throughout all facilities, such as door handles and equipment more regularly. We are encouraging students and trainers to sanitize their hands before and after using all equipment to assist with minimising the spread of COVID-19.
All our facilities are currently operational, and we will assess each operation in line with advice provided by the relevant Australian Government departments.
Our staff are assessing student’s suitability to train and require students to notify Site Skills Training staff prior to commencement of their course if they have:
- Arrived / returned from overseas in the last 14-days. Students are not to attend training and should defer their booking to after the 14-day quarantine period.
- Had close contact with a person with a case of COVID-19 within the last 14 days. Students should defer their booking to after 14 days of self-quarantine.
- Any flu-like symptoms should not attend a course and should seek medical attention.
- Site Skills Training employees who fall within the above will not be attending work and will be following the same procedures.
Site Skills Training has and will continue to take steps to mitigate the risk of close contact between our staff and students. These initiatives include:
- Splitting administrative teams into smaller groups and/or isolated areas and providing them with the opportunity to work remotely where possible.
- Trainers restricted to assigned designated classrooms to deliver training.
- Contact between trainers and administration teams has been minimised.
- Decreasing the gathering of students and staff during morning tea, lunch, or smoko through staggering these break-times and limiting the number of people in confined locations.
- Reviewing the need for trainers to travel between Site Skills Training locations and/or to other locations.
- Site Skills Training will continue to monitor the advice provided by the Australian Government Health Departments and Australian Federal Departments and will update this guidance should it become necessary.
The World Health Organisation has recommended the following hygiene tips practiced to minimise the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if you don’t have access to soap and water at the time. The virus can stay on surfaces and be picked up by hands for up to several days depending on the type of surface.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 1 metre, the Australian Government is recommending 1.5 meters, COVID-19 spreads through small moisture droplets and this distance assists minimising transfer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth as this is how the virus is transferred into the body to repopulate.
- Practice respiratory hygiene by covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze and disposing of tissues in the trash immediately.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early and stay home if you feel unwell. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
CEO – Site Skills Training